The Area Code 844 scam: A Scam You Must Avoid
If you are getting a call from the above-mentioned code, or you’re asked to call on this number; beware! You are about to be scammed.
With the advancement of science and technology, we, as humans, are enjoying the fruits of scientific discoveries and inventions; inventions that have eased our lives. However, there are a few among us who are playing the role of spoilers to the benefits of all those newly invented technologies; people doing scams and frauds through mobile phones are prime examples.
Introduction; A short overview of this type of scam
844 is a scam code that is reported recently by many people who have been cheated and scammed by a certain group of people calling from this number. But how do they do it? Is it so easy to fool others just on a mere call? Well, this brings us to the element of fear.
Scammers using this code use fear tactics to victimize innocent people i.e. if you get a call from this code, you would feel as if you are talking to a police officer, a person from the income tax office, a lawyer, or from any other designation that holds a certain power. You’d be asked to pay some amount; it might be as less as in hundreds and as greater as in thousands in the form of a fine or tax that, in reality, is not even due on you, but the type of accent and style of the speaker will make you feel as if you are talking to a person with the designation he/she is pretending to be.
From where do these scammers get these codes?
Well getting numbers like these is not as difficult as it looks to common person. These codes are toll free and can easily be assigned to anyone whether an organization or an individual. These numbers are acquired not only by institutions and companies but also by individuals who use it as mean to fraud innocent citizens. So, whenever you see this type of number on your phone, don’t automatically consider it as a company’s number, as most of the people do, rather attend the call and verify the person.
How do these 844 scammers find their target?
Well, it’s funny to say that these scammers work like professionals i.e. they have eagle eyes when it comes to finding a victim. It is reported that these cheats do thorough and proper homework on the person they are about to call. Let’s say they have found a person whom they are going to call, soon the scammers of this code will know exactly what has been his/her activities in the past. Just to make you clear I’m quoting an example: let’s say you have bought life insurance, and you are their find to whom they are going to make a call; the scammers will pretend to be the representative of the insurance company you’ve been in touch with. They may ask you to pay the installment of that insurance; or tell you with regret, “We didn’t get the installment for the previous month”. Moreover, they might even pretend to be representatives of the bank account you’ve been a user of for years; and ask you for overdue bank account closure charges.
But from where do they get the desired information about their victim? Don’t these companies and organizations keep their customers’ or members’ data secure? Well, these scammers don’t work alone, rather they work in groups; including people from different fields, i.e. even from the companies, their target has been a user of; so that they could get the desired knowledge and information about people they are about to scam. They also utilize the data that is disposed of and dumped by the company itself.
How to get rid of these 844 scammers
I’ve listed down some of the instructions that will certainly prove beneficial and handy in doing away with this type of scam. They are given as under:
1) Be confident, sensible, and open-minded: Whenever you get a call from this code, and the person says he/she is talking as a representative of any company, organization or institution, don’t get baffled, rather make a checklist: ask him his name, designation, or even ask some questions of the past experience that you had with the company. Trust me, your questions will make the scammer nervous because he won’t have the correct answers.
2) Never provide account information, pin or even password: Put this advice in your mind or even write it on your notebook if you need to: any company, organization, or a professional institution never asks the customers or users to pay on a mere phone call, rather they ask you to pay any overdue amount via official channels: a proper mail, letter or through their representative. So, you must be wise enough to categorize these calls as a scam.
3) Do make a cross-check even if you’re convinced that it’s not a scam: If you’re completely convinced that it’s not a scam, it’s necessary to do a cross-check by calling to actual company or institutional helpline number. Once you are convinced by the official number, then you may proceed.
4) Never save billing information: Never save your payment information on the internet while doing online shopping. This world of modern technology is full of cyber-crimes, so you better be wise and sensible.
5) Block the number: And lastly, block and report the number if you’re finding it hard to avoid it.
Steps you should do if you’ve already fallen prey to this code.
What should I do if I’m already victimized? Well, I’ve got a few instructions for you that you should quickly follow in order to get less affected.
1) Report to your bank account: Having got your bank account information, the scammer would certainly go for transactions. In this case, the only way to get less affected is by reporting the incident to your respective bank representatives. Ask to make a refund if possible; because some banks do provide the facility of refund if their customer’s or account holder is scammed.
2) Make a request for freezing your account’s transaction: completely make your account’s transactions freeze for a temporary period until you secure your account with the help of the official channel of your bank. In this way, you’ll be less affected by this scam.
Getting scam phone calls from toll-free numbers with suffix 844 has become a common practice. We must be aware of this trend of victimizing innocent people by a certain group of victimizers. In this article, I tried to cover almost all the aspects of ‘code 844’ scam; I hope it’ll help you in doing away with scams like these that majority of us have to face in our lives.